OASIS Open Mailing List Archives  ·  All Lists  ·  xacml  ·  2007-03

xacml — archive

[Date Prev]  |  [Thread Prev]  |  [Thread Next]  |  [Date Next]   —  [Date Index]  |  [Thread Index]  |  [Month Index]  |  [List Home]

Re: [xacml] New Issue#61: WS-XACML: How are the contents ofXACMLAuthzAssertions represented in the base XACML Policies


Anthony Nadalin wrote On 12/20/06 10:12,: > One thing that bothers me (well I have several), > > 1) is why is this called WS ? as I'm not seeing a tie to web services, > just to WS-Policy XACMLAssertions were originally designed as a way to include XACML policies in WS-Policy instances, and thus tie XACML more directly to Web services, but the XACMLAssertions are certainly useful for more than WS-Policy. WS-Authorization and WS-Privacy have been mentioned numerous times, although I have not seen anything moving forward, and it seems to me that the XACMLAuthzAssertion and the XACMLPrivacyAssertion should be able to fill the roles possibly envisioned for those two specifications. The other two parts of the WS-XACML specification - the authorization token and passing Attributes in the SOAP header - are more explicitly Web services oriented. That said, the XACMLAssertions are useful both in WS-Policy and in other contexts. I have proposed dropping the non-Assertion sections from WS-XACML, and if so, I would be open to changing the name to something like "XACML Authorization and Privacy Policy Assertions" (XAPPA? :-) > 2) missing the tie to WS-Security, as SAML is not the only assertions > that are used, this effort should be able to tie into the claims used in > WS-Security Are you referring to ways an XACMLAssertion could refer to WS-Security claims used in the SOAP Security Header? I could define a new standard vocabulary identifier for such claims, and could give an example of placing constraints on them. Do you want to supply an example of a claim you would like to see used? > 3) there are 2 sides the requestor and receiver, each should be able to > represent policy, not seeing this clearly in this proposal Section 6 of WD 8 shows a client XACMLPrivacyAssertion and a Service XACMLPrivacyAssertion. What more would you like to see? The academic team I am working with has made use of XACMLAssertions in a multi-stage privacy policy negotiation protocol, so once our paper is finished, perhaps I could include that as an example that would show the two sides even more clearly. Thanks for the review and comments. Regards, Anne > > Anthony Nadalin | Work 512.838.0085 | Cell 512.289.4122 > Inactive hide details for Anne Anderson - Sun Microsystems >

[Date Prev]  |  [Thread Prev]  |  [Thread Next]  |  [Date Next]   —  [Date Index]  |  [Thread Index]  |  [Month Index]  |  [List Home]