xacml — archive
[Date Prev]
| [Thread Prev]
| [Thread Next]
| [Date Next]
— [Date Index]
| [Thread Index]
| [Month Index]
| [List Home]
RE: XACML OID tag?
Bob Jueneman wrote:
> This is join to sound like heresy, but has anyone defined an
> OID tag for XACML, so that an XACML string could be included
> in a X.509 certificate? ...
> Toolkits which would provide enterprises to issue their own
> certificates have so far failed to take off to any
> significant degree ...
> One of the reasons, I believe, is that the neither the public
> TTPs nor the toolkit vendors have so far adequately addressed
> the important issue of providing a cross-enterprise Privilege
> Management Infrastructure solution. And now that they are
> feeling a very significant financial pinch, they may not have
> the wherewithal to solve that problem. Perhaps you are simply looking for an OID to put arbitrary XML in a cert, so this response will be overkill, but I believe your message implies a lack of understanding of the XML security work currently going on at OASIS (SAML and XACML)
XACML is defining the means to express Access Control Policies. I don't really see what the semantics of an access control policy in the middle of a cert would be. Perhaps you are thinking of SAML. SAML has Attribute Assertions which are almost like Attribute Certs. Also it has Authentication Assertions which seem mostly useful in non-PKI environment. Finally there are Authorization Decision Assertions, which are likely to be quite specific to a resource and short lived. Again it is not clear what putting one in a cert would signify exactly. Of course all can be signed using XMLdsig and thus be consumers of PKIX mechanisms. But I am unclear what sort of a use case you have in mind.
> Maybe it's just the religion of the week (XML) creating an
> evangelistic fervor, but that's where the buzz seems to be
> these days. And I'd rather drop some XACML into an X.509
> certificate and make use of the existing tools, rather than
> create everything from scratch. And yes, if X.509 attribute
> certificates had been better thought out and/or more widely
> implemented, maybe this wouldn't be necessary. And if pigs
> could whistle and cows could fly, then the world would be a
> much different place. If you believe
X.509 Attribute
Certs are broken (as opposed to unused) I would like to hear why, since SAML Attribute Assertions are very similar. On the other hand, SAML has a lot of other machinery, so perhaps we have already addressed your concerns. I understand the buzz concern, but there is actually very little overlap between the functional capabilities of PKIX and the OASIS security work.
> Anyway, does anyone have such an OID and a suggested way to
> use it? If not, I guess I'll explore rolling my own, unless
> someone else wants to join in the fun. Before you design something, I suggest you propose a usecase or some requirements or something. Regards, Hal
[Date Prev]
| [Thread Prev]
| [Thread Next]
| [Date Next]
— [Date Index]
| [Thread Index]
| [Month Index]
| [List Home]