[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Spreadsheet Formula Conformance - Please Not Now
Whoa!
I just received an off-list note pointing out that Iteration 9 of the
Conformance Proposal (in version 8 of the document,
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200902/msg00058.html>) inserts
normative language about table:formula. I missed that addition beyond what
we have seen in previous versions of the proposal. (I wasn't looking for
it, since we haven't been discussing spreadsheets.)
I strongly recommend that we subdivide the table:formula conformance
proposal out of the overall Conformance Proposal. I think it is better to
handle this when we know what conformance clauses in the OpenFormula
document we are appealing to, and what their names are.
- Dennis
PS: I now find it odd that metadata extensions are now moved outside of the
definition of conforming document, but arbitrary additions to
<style:*-properties> are still allowed in conforming documents. I have no
recommendation about that, just raising one eyebrow.
FURTHER ANALYSIS:
The statement in the 9th iteration (makes an addition to section 10.8.2:
"Within conforming spreadsheet documents, the namespsace prefix
shall be vound to the namespace
urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:of:1.2,
and the formula shall be a conforming OpenDocument formula as defined by
the
OpenDocument specification part 2: Formulas."
(I'm not sure where the typos come from. I downloaded the document twice
but the problem seems to be in the stored document.)
The reference to section 10.8.2 is incorrect for ODF 1.2. The correct
reference in draft 8 of Part 1 is to secction 18.1016.
The full text would then start out with something like
The table:formula attribute specifies a formula for a table cell.
Formulas allow calculations to be performed within table cells.
Every formula should begin with a namespace prefix specifying the syntax
and semantics used within the formula.
Within conforming spreadsheet documents, the namespace prefix shall
appear
and shall be bound to the namespace
urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:of:1.2.
The formula shall be a conforming OpenDocument formula as defined by the
OpenDocument specification part 2: Formulas.
Typically, the formula itself begins with an equal (=) sign and can
include
the following components:
(I separated the normative statements to support the practice of having
different normative statements be separate for cross-reference and tying to
conformance targets.)
There are other defects with this revision (which is also inconsistent along
with giving standing to a "conforming spreadsheet document" as much as I
think there is indeed such a thing), and I think that we should not attempt
to piggy-back reconciliation of the intended restriction as part of the
Conformance Proposal.
-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200902/msg00088.html
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 08:39
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [office] Conformance Clause proposal, Version 8
The OpenFormula and Packaging parts are still being edited. Once we get
the draft of the core part done, we'll undoubtedly have a conformance
discussion relative to each of the other parts as well, since each part
can define its own conformance requirements. But I would expect
OpenFormula to feature prominently as a requirement. That is why it was
created. I think the feedback on ODF 1.0 not having a defined formula
language was unequivocal.
[ ... ]
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 02/06/2009
09:37:33 PM:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200902/msg00084.html
> Bob,
>
> I can't find anything that pertains to limitations on formulas
table:formula
> with regard to conforming documents. Is there some proposal separate
from
> version 8 of the Conformance Proposal, the ODF 1.2 Part 1 draft 8, and
the
> OpenFormula 2008-12-21 draft?
>
> Requiring prefixes doesn't seem to prevent extensions at all, since the
> namespace is not required to be one defined by the OpenDocument or
> OpenFormula specifications. This seems to be clearly recognized in ODF
> 1.0/IS 26300/ODF 1.1 and the current drafts of ODF 1.2 and OpenFormula.
> (All implemented ODF spreadsheet documents I have ever seen use a
"foreign"
> namespace for the prefix in table:formula values. That's one reason I
asked
> if you were granting variances to products, at least until OpenFormula
shows
> up in implementations.)
>
> Please take another look or point me to the proposal you mean.
>
> - Dennis
[ ... ]
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]