[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: RE: [emergency] HAVE Conformance vs. Documentation vs. Released Schemas
|
David, Although I appreciate your fervent endorsement of CAM ( I use it
too – you can’t beat the price!) – CAM is but one of many tools that can
accomplish the work. There is no “one tool for all” in the world of standards. OASIS has been discussing the option of a EM Web site for things
like Sample XML, Stylesheets and I am sure CAM files can be included… Here’s the rub though – I do not want to be in the position of
promoting a single tool and I really do not think the entire EM TC group email
is the place for this push. If anything the Adoption Committee would be the
place to consider the options of using CAM – and RECOMMENDING it for certain uses if they agree. I would prefer to see this
vehicle for idea exchange (the EM TC Group email list) used for discussions on
the Standards. In addition I would heavily
question your estimates of time saved since the IEPD PROCESS is
more about requirements gathering and business driven designs than XML/XSD
development. To be a little blunt – and please forgive that, but I feel it is
time for this statement – I have been feeling that you have been “shoving CAM
down my throat”…we have many people on the TC and some have developed their own
tools or even have vendor products that are very good and very sound to support
this work. This forum is not the place to push the “one tool for all” agenda. There is no place in a “one tool
for all” approach…a simple example could be the popularity of Spreadsheets –
they are fantastic for keeping things like Managed Lists – no other tool is any
better – unless you are in a diverse or enterprise environment and people make
several copies and edit them all differently – then they are a complete and
utter nightmare and should be removed to put in place a true Business
Intelligence tool set….this is a real world example. We cannot determine how
every standard will be used and how it should be implemented – that is counterproductive
to interoperability. Again – I do appreciate your
enthusiasm and I think you bring a whole lot to the table for our efforts – but
I respectfully ask that you consider the intent of the vehicle before endorsing
one product so heavily and repeatedly. Thanks, Lee The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think,
than what to think - rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think
for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men. ~Bill
Beattie From: David RR Webber
(XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info] Lee, Ease of implementation is key. That is why we have put
together all the tools in CAM for NIEM IEPDs. This has taken an 800 hour IEPD process and made it 80 hours -
including ramp up time. What I am envisioning for EDXL however is that creating a profile
using CAM should take one hour or less - including downloading CAM and
installing. I'll put together some briefing slides to illustrate - along with
samples. We really can show people how to save potentially hundreds of
hours of implementation time. This week though I'm busy finishing testing on the new release of
CAM 1.7.1 - so it will next week sometime. Thanks, DW
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS TC that generates
this mail. Follow this link to all your TCs in OASIS at:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/portal/my_workgroups.php |
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]