[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Re: [docbook] Possible Catalog Issues for DocBook 4/5: Missing 'www' in System Identifier?
Hi Thomas,I don't have an answer for you, but I will put the question on the agenda of the DocBook Technical Committee which meets this Wednesday.
By the way, I like your (unintentional) new word "stumpled", a combo of stumped and stumbled. 8^)
Bob Stayton Sagehill Enterprises bobs@sagehill.net -------------------------------------------------- From: "Thomas Schraitle" <tom_schr@web.de> Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 12:04 AM To: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>Subject: [docbook] Possible Catalog Issues for DocBook 4/5: Missing 'www' in System Identifier?
Hi,
not sure if this can be considered as a "bug", but I've stumpled over an
entry in the catalog files, both for DocBook 4 and 5. Maybe someone can
clarify it.
For a long time, the DocBook schema has got two official _system_(!)
identifiers: the one from OASIS and the docbook.org domain. That's the
reason why you can find in the DocBook 4.5 catalog file[1] two entries
to access the DocBook 4.5 DTD:
<system systemId="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
uri="docbookx.dtd"/>
<system systemId="http://docbook.org/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
uri="docbookx.dtd"/>
Well, I had always the (wrong?) impression, that the system identifier
for the docbook.org domain contains a "www". Using a Web browser to
access the URL is usually not a problem (as both URLs work, with and
without "www"). However, an XML catalog resolver wants the *exact*
string. If someone tries to use such a system identifier, he will get
into problems.
For example, oXygen 15 creates a DocBook file which contains the "www".
However, they also use the above catalog file. I guess, this problem
hasn't occured yet as all the XML tools try to find the public
identifier first. Assuming there is a correct entry in the XML catalog,
the system identifier never gets resolved (and doesn't need to).
Is this ambiguous? I would say yes. Or at least confusing.
What would the experts recommend here?
Thanks!
---- Reference
[1] http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.5/catalog.xml
--
Gruß/Regards,
Thomas Schraitle
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-help@lists.oasis-open.org
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]