[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Appendix structure
We were trying to create a <glossary> as an <appendix>, and ran across
something that seems very odd to me; I'm not sure if it's intentional.
The original structure we tried to use was this:
----------
<appendix version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook">
<title>Glossary of Linguistic Terms</title>
<glossary>
<title/>
<glossentry xml:id="glInfix">
<glossterm>infix</glossterm>
<glossdef>
<para>An infix is an affix that goes inside the word to which it
is attached.</para>
</glossdef>
</glossentry>
</glossary>
</appendix>
----------
That structure does not appear to validate against the schema, but the
following one does:
----------
<appendix version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook">
<title>Glossary of Linguistic Terms</title>
<remark>This remark makes the appendix validate</remark>
<glossary>
<title/>
<glossentry xml:id="glInfix">
<glossterm>infix</glossterm>
<glossdef>
<para>An infix is an affix that goes inside the word to which it
is attached.</para>
</glossdef>
</glossentry>
</glossary>
</appendix>
----------
The only difference is the <remark> element. Since <remark>s are more or
less comments, it seems odd that they would make a difference in the
validity of the document. As I'm reading the schema (actually, the verbal
description at http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/appendix.html), the
<remark> element could be replaced by an <annotation>, <bridgehead>,
<refhistory>, or any of a number of otherwise optional elements; or by a
<section>, <simplesect>, or <sect1>. Since I *don't* want any of the
section-type elements (I really want the appendix to *just* contain a
glossary), I'm instead using <remark>, which has no effect in my final
(PDF) output.
The <chapter> structure appears to be the same--that is, if I wanted a
chapter to contain just a <glossary>, I would need to insert a <remark>.
Is this intentional?
Mike Maxwell
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]