[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Re: [docbook] equations questions
Stephen Langer <stephen.langer@nist.gov> writes:
> Hello --
>
> I'm trying to include some simple equations in a docbook 4.4 document
> and xsl. I don't think I need MathML since I can do what I want with
> character entities and <superscript>, et. al.
>
> The problem I'm having is that <equation> doesn't seem to work... In
> the following snippet, the informal equation appears but the formal
> one doesn't:
>
> <informalequation id="pythagoras" xreflabel="Equation 0">
> <mediaobject>
> <textobject>
> <simpara>x<superscript>2</superscript> +
> y<superscript>2</superscript> = z<superscript>2</superscript></simpara>
> </textobject>
> </mediaobject>
> </informalequation>
> <equation id="three">
> <title>Three</title>
> <mediaobject>
> <textobject>
> <simpara>1+1=3</simpara>
> </textobject>
> </mediaobject>
> </equation>
>
> The html output has the title for the formal equation, but not its body:
[...]
> Is this a bug, or am I doing something dumb?
I think it's a bug. Or at least an oversight. The stylesheets
appear to ignore Textobject within a Mediaobject in an Equation
unless the Mediaobject also contains an Imageobject. And even
then, they expect for the Textobject to contain a Phrase, and will
ignore anything other than that.
Can you please file a bug report for this issue?
All that said, current DocBook 4 and DocBook 5 have a Mathphrase
element, which you can use like this:
<equation id="three">
<title>Three</title>
<mathphrase>1+1=3</mathphrase>
</equation>
So if you validate against DocBook 4.4 or 4.5 or DocBook NG/5, you
can use Mathphrase. That is better, anyway, because the whole
thing of using Equation/Mediaobject/Textobject was just a hack --
and not a terrifically intuitive for users, at that.
--Mike
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]