OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.

 


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]


Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook tool chain recommendations?


Rich,

Jirka's comments not withstanding, I get alot of mileage of out xsltproc and FOP.

xsltproc may suffer from the occasional bug, but these are generally quickly sorted out.� Daniel Veillard, et al, is very responsive and development of the application/libraries is very active.

FOP may be old, but it does the job.� For my own use FOP is very useful, especially the fact that it supports SVG images.� Only one of my clients has had to resort to a commercial formatter because of FOP limitations.

HTHs,
Steve Ball


---


Steve Ball� � � � � � | � XSLT Standard Library � | Training & Seminars

Explain � � � � | � � Web Tcl Complete� � � | � XML XSL Schemas

http://www.explain.com.au/ |� � � TclXML TclDOM� � � � | Tcl, Web Development

Steve.Ball@explain.com.au� +---------------------------+---------------------

Ph. +61 2 6242 4099 � | � Mobile (0413) 594 462 � | Fax +61 2 6242 4099



On 24/09/2005, at 2:59 AM, Rich Morin wrote:

I'm still trying to decide on an Open Source tool chain to use
for formatting DocBook into PDF.� I gather that the procedure
is to use an XSLT processor to process DocBook into XSL-FO,
then use an XSL-FO processor to generate the PDF.

Bob Stayton's "DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide" (Sagehill, 2003)
lists several possibilities for XSLT processors, including Saxon,
Xalan, and xsltproc.� I gather that xsltproc is a good choice, as
it is fast, free, and conformant to the specification.

This leaves me with the problem of formatting the XSL-FO into PDF.
Dave Pawson's "XSL-FO" book (O'Reilly, 2002) lists a number of
lists several possibilities.

PassiveTex is one possibility, but setting up an maintaining a TeX
suite just for this purpose may be onerous (though it would have
the advantage of providing access to TeX :-).

FOP is another possibility (and I've downloaded a copy to try out),
but it appears to be rather dated: the current version (0.20.5) was
created in 2003.

I'd rather not go down the wrong path, so I'm asking for comments,
cautions, and suggestions.� Help?

-r

P.S.� I'd look in the wiki (http://wiki.docbook.org) for all this,
� � � but it appears to be out of service:

� � � � Cannot Load Address
� � � � No such host wiki.docbook.org

� � � (I've sent a note to Norman Walsh, who owns the domain.)
--�
email: [email protected]; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com� � � � - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory
http://www.cfcl.com/Meta � - The FreeBSD Browser, Meta Project, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]






[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]