[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Environment Variables in File/Directory Names
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
> Oh, I probably use envar for both. That distinction isn't often important.
Really?
> If it was, I'd just use a role attribute. Or maybe <literal
> role="envar">. Or something.
For environment variables there is <envar> or <literal role="envar"> (if
you're sure your stylesheets will support the role attribute); for
values use <literal>.
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc@linuxweasel.com> writes:
>> This leads me to another question: What markup is appropriate
>> for distinguishing between an environment variable and its value? (I'm
>> simply talking about the difference between TOMCAT_HOME and $TOMCAT_HOME).
>
> I normally use <varname>...
Really? And when your publischer decides, all environment variables
should be prefixed with "$" or printed with italics you've lost; better
distinguish now:
For <envar>DISPLAY</envar> use <literal>localhost:0.0</literal>.
<varname> is for such things like:
<varname>i</variable> will increment from <literal>0</literal> to
<literal>9</literal>.
And finally we have:
Check files in
<filename>/usr/lib/python<replacable>VERSION</replacable></filename>
--
ke@suse.de (work) / [email protected] (home): |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/ | ,__o
Free Translation Project: | _-\_<,
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/ | (*)/'(*)
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Powered by eList eXpress LLC