[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: character entities for keycap symbols?
/ Sunthar.Visuvalingam@informit.com was heard to say:
| Is there a set of character entities that represent keycap
| symbols commonly used in computer books? In this instance, I'm
| specifically looking for the Control Key Symbol of Apple MAC
| Keyboard.
Not that I know of. I've seen several "keycap" fonts, but I've
never imagined representing these things with entities. I'd be
more inclined to tweak my stylesheet so that <keycap> did the
right thing (probably by selecting an appropriate keycap font :-).
(Does Unicode have characters for these things? It shouldn't,
IMHO, but that hasn't stopped them in the past :-)
And if you want these things to work online as well as in print,
you'd almost certainly have to turn them into graphics of some
sort. But going directly from a font glyphs to graphics can be
done fairly mechanically.
| If such a set does not already exist, the DocBook activity
| might be the best place to come up with a comprehensive list
| of character entities to represent commonly used keycap
| symbols.
Egad! No! That's a job for the keyboard manufacturers, or some
other group. It has only a peripheral bearing on DocBook, IMHO.
Be seeing you,
norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | First time surrealists are often
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | confused by the similarities
Member, DocBook Editorial Board | between fish and telephones.
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Powered by eList eXpress LLC