[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Allow StartsWith/ContinuationOf on OrderedList?
On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 05:32:59PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> 1. Add a "StartsWith" attribute to OrderedList so that the author
> can set the starting number explicitly.
>
> Pros: simple; solves the problem; offers additional flexibility,
> can be used to start list numbering arbitrarily (and
> independent of) continuation.
>
> Cons: it's fragile, if the author does this to get the value "5"
> in the preceding example, and then adds a new listitem to
> "list1", "list3" will still begin at 5.
>
> 2. Add a "ContinuationOf" attribute which is an IDREF to the list
> which the author would like to continue.
>
> Pros: robust; solves the problem
> Cons: slightly more complex; less flexible, you can't just number
> a list starting at 37 because you like the number 37.
>
> I prefer 2. I suppose we could add both 1 and 2, but we've
> generally tried to resist solving problems that people didn't
> claim to have (yet).
>
> If we elect to go with option 2, then we should probably
> deprecate and then remove "Continuation".
If "Continuation" is documented as I described, I think it isn't
needed to implement more things. Although 1 is very interesting
sometimes... So it is 2.
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com.br> GPG Fingerprint
851B B620 626D 2AD0 E783
"Ser poeta n�o � minha ambi��o, E932 1330 BE6D A4A3 0625
� minha maneira de estar sozinho"
- Fernando Pessoa. Publica��es @ Conectiva S.A.
Except where explicitly stated I speak on my own behalf.
Exceto onde explicitado as declara��es aqui feitas s�o apenas minhas.
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Powered by eList eXpress LLC