I do not currently customize other than param.xsl and fop.xconf, and have never created a customization layer. So I currently have no xsl:import of docbook.xsl other than where it would occur in the non-customized DocBook 5.1. Is this URL the correct information for the customization layer in the case of needing to import highlighting? I've not seen any xsl:import used in the context of this chapter so I may be completely wrong to look here:
Currently I assemble one large monolithic XML file via xmllint and xinclude (individual files are chapters, appendices, so on, in a <book>). This is passed to jing for testing against docbook.rng. This is turned into an fo file via:
The resulting fo file is turned into PDF format through fop (and hopefully later other formats).
On 2/15/2017 6:08 AM, stimits@comcast.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see by default in fo/highlighting.xsl (I'm using fo):
> <xsl:import href=""/>
>
> My XSL knowledge is minimal, but if for example I'm using bourne as the
> language, do I need to import something specific to bourne? The README
> has a note about importing, but it isn't clear what the intended import
> file is.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Bob Stayton <
[email protected]>
> To: stimits@comcast.net, Docbook <
[email protected]>
> Sent: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 00:08:07 -0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <programlisting linenumbering="numbered">
> does not number...
> I followed the instructions in my book for syntax highlighting, and it
> did not work. I know it worked when I wrote it, because I tested
> everything before I included it.
> It turns out that my book documents the 1.73.1 version of the
> stylesheets, and the highlighting was changed in version 1.74.3. Now
> your customization layer needs to use xsl:import on the appropriate
> highlight.xsl file, such fo/highlight.xsl. When I added that, syntax
> highlighting worked for me.
> The highlighting/README file in the distribution provided that crucial
> bit of information. I'm currently updating my book and will include
> this change.
> Bob Stayton
> Sagehill Enterprises
>
[email protected]> On 2/11/2017 12:42 PM, stimits@comcast.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> From the link on Saxon plus other information I put together the
>> simplest test case (which sort of works). The command is essentially
>> this (other commands validate the XML with jing and xmllint before
>> calling Saxon):
>> CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH};\
>> java \
>> -Dxslthl.config=${XSLTHL}/highlighters/xslthl-config.xml \
>> com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet \
>> -o ${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.fo \
>> ${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.xml \
>> ${XSLT}/fo/docbook.xsl \
>> use.extensions=1
>>
>> This does enable line numbering in programlisting tags, and options
>> related to numbering do as expected. However, in attempting to get the
>> syntax highlighting to work (see
>> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SyntaxHighlighting.html) nothing I've
>> tried has any effect (test cases were with "bourne" and "ini" files).
>>
>> The CLASSPATH contains the following files, and no error occurs (for the
>> sake of brevity I'm showing only the relative paths, but the full path
>> is used without error in the actual Makefile):
>>
> docbook-xsl-ns-1.79.1/tools/lib/*saxon.jar*:docbook5/stylesheet/docbook-xsl-ns-1.79.1/extensions/*saxon65.jar*:xml/xslthl-2.1.3/*xslthl-2.1.3.jar*
>>
>> Since I get no errors, and because the Saxon processing is otherwise
>> working, is there any additional requirement to keep syntax highlighting
>> from failing as if the option did not exist? Is syntax highlighting
>> something which maybe requires the Xalan parser? Is there perhaps
>> something from param.xsl which needs to change and not mentioned in the
>> above URL on syntax highlighting?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Richard Hamilton <
[email protected]>
>> To: stimits@comcast.net
>> Cc: Docbook <
[email protected]>
>> Sent: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 00:50:21 -0000 (UTC)
>> Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <programlisting linenumbering="numbered">
>> does not number...
>> Hi,
>> Here is the link to the part of Bob’s book that covers the Saxon
> processor:
>> http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/InstallingAProcessor.html#InstallSaxon
>> I think you can keep the xmllint processing as is (I use it for XInclude
>> processing, too), and just swap in saxon for xsltproc, using Bob’s
>> instructions.
>> I don’t bother swapping in Xerces (I don’t use any of the features that
>> go beyond what Saxon supports).
>> Best regards,
>> Dick
>> -------
>> XML Press
>> XML for Technical Communicators
>> http://xmlpress.net
>>
[email protected]>>> On Feb 10, 2017, at 12:26, stimits@comcast.net wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was going by this reference as to requirements, and have not read
>> the whole book (thus I did not yet see the Java requirement):
>>> http://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.1/programlisting.html
>>>
>>> Admittedly I'm trying to do something quicker than I should and not
>> reading everything (I've been through a lot of material, but it's just a
>> drop in the bucket for everything needed when I really just need to sit
>> down and write content). I've had some frustrations getting the
>> Java-based processors working and have tried to stick to the
>> xmllint/jing/xsltproc family for that single reason. The Java-based
>> processing answer likely also answers my earlier syntax highlighting
>> question about whether to abandon my current approach with xmllint.
>>>
>>> To use Saxon or Xalan I would have to change the current build scheme,
>> which I've never succeeded at:
>>> xmllint --output "${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.xml" --nonet --noent
>> -xinclude "${CONTENT}/${TITLE}.xml"
>>> xsltproc --output ${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.fo ${XSLT}/docbook.xsl
>> ${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.xml
>>> fop -c ${PREFIX}/fop.xconf -fo ${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.fo -pdf
>> ${OUT}/${TITLE}.pdf
>>>
>>> I realize I'm probably asking a lot, but is there any advice I can get
>> on editing that chain of commands to instead work with Saxon or Xalan?
>> Getting past the tools on the command line (for a hand written Makefile)
>> is just getting frustrating and is why the current chain of commands
>> have never evolved to anything Java-based.
>>>
>>> I do plan on reading more (I'm not resisting reading), but there are
>> other requirements which tend to require at least a draft to be
>> available sooner rather than later.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: Bob Stayton <
[email protected]>
>>> To: stimits@comcast.net, Docbook <
[email protected]>
>>> Sent: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 19:09:00 -0000 (UTC)
>>> Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <programlisting linenumbering="numbered">
>> does not number...
>>> Hi,
>>> Did you read this section in my online book about line numbering? It
>>> only works with Java-based processors.
>>> Bob Stayton
>>> Sagehill Enterprises
>>>
[email protected]>>> On 2/10/2017 11:01 AM, stimits@comcast.net wrote:
>>> > Hi,
>>> >
>>> > Under DocBook 5.1 I've been able to list programs, but line numbering
>>> > has no effect (and there is no error under xmllint or jing). Is there
>>> > some ENTITY or other precondition required for line numbering under
> 5.1?
>>> >
>>> > Thanks!